First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap
Last year I had watched many running friends post about Wonderland. I thought it looked like fun. I wanted in on the fun.
I discovered that the 20km event required a qualifier the same as for TwoBays 28. That was good because I had achieved my qualifier at Wangaratta in February (y).
So far I had only really run road events (apart from Sharpies in March) so I entered the Trail Running Series as a sort of training regime.
I poured over the race info and suggested gear for Wonderland and decided I would carry everything that the 36's had to carry. If I was to get lost or injured, I figured I would be best to be as prepared as I could be! First I sourced and purchased my apple green waterproof jacket, then a whistle and emergency blanket.
Being a dedicated parkrunner, my arrival at Halls Gap was delayed by a launch at Newport Lakes. Even so, I managed to arrive in time to see my friends (and cabin buddies) run in the Saturday 2km and 8km events.
Sunday morning, I was awake before my alarm and tiptoed around the cabin, preparing myself as my roomies slept. I was very nervous about this event. Not because I doubted myself, but because I would be out there without my usual buddies. Alone on the trail. Vulnerable. Belinda accompanied me to the start line and kindly took a few photos, then positioned me with some friendly humans before waving me off with a cheer. Bless you Bel xx
We were in the third wave which suited me fine. I knew I wouldn't be challenging any records. I was here for the experience, to learn, to enjoy. When we were finally sent off I kept pace with the crowd, the nerves forgotten as I absorbed the surrounds. As the trail narrowed and climbed it was walking pace and single file due to the bottlenecks but I din't mind, it took the pressure off as I adjusted to the terrain which was new to me. Pretty soon I became aware of just how fortunate I was to have won my new trail shoes from the North Face. As people in front and behind me were slipping on the rocks, my feet we sticking like glue.
Then the trail headed down. For awhile it was rocky, but then it turned to a welcome (albeit mushy) trail. By this stage the field had thinned and for much of this section I was alone, running along following the markers, and panicking that I was still in possession of my tear off that I was supposed to deposit as a particular point. Had I passed it? I didn't think so and yet still I worried. I asked a couple of people on the trail and they reassured me that I hadn't reached that check point yet. Finally around the 12kms I reached Lake Bellfield and my tear off was delivered. I attempted a Facebook Live (should have done this at the summit) and from there on the track was relatively flat. I picked up my pace and a quick calculation had me setting my sights on sub 3:30. I saw a photographer and called out that I was going to jump, he acknowleged, and as I jumped and ran past I asked it he'd got the shot. He did (but he didn't - no jump shot in my official photos) but here's the picture of me preparing to jump...
So I was then on the final leg. I was keeping my buddies informed of my progress and as I approached the 19th km I could hear shouts of 'It's Mel!', 'Here come's Mel'. What a welcomed sight they were and what a lift! Nothing is as wonderful as friends cheering you on. As I passed by I knew I was only a kilometre from the finish and I took off along the flat bitumen, looking for the end. That last section was along the main street of Halls Gap and followed the footpath in front of the shops with the crowd encouraging and cheering everyone along. I spotted some friendly faces and then finally the finish line, tucked around a corner at the entry to the community hall. And it was done!
The thing about this event is the way it is embraced both by the organisers and the participants. The MC is dressed as The White rabbit and the event organiser Rohan wears a top hat and the biggest grin. Around the course volunteers join the fun wearing Cheshire Cat onesies and other related costumes. Wonderland was a brilliant event and one I'll definitely revisit.



Well done Mel - both on the event and on starting your blog!!! I'm very jealous - that looks like an incredible run to do although I know how hard that hill is! I'm looking forward to reading more of your adventures :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I hope to learn more and become better at this :)
Delete