150 parkruns

In parkrun terms, 150 is not recognised as an official milestone. There is no shirt. No official list to join. Yet it felt like an achievement that needed to be celebrated. So.....one evening I had a crazy idea of an open invitation for my running friends to join me (there may have been wine involved that night).

Wilson Botanic was chosen as the location because a) It's close and meant a sleep in for me. b) Having run it twice I was keen to return for a sub 30 attempt. c) To entice my friends with the lure of one of Victoria's prettiest and toughest courses.


I awoke to a beautiful sunrise. This was a good omen I thought. Rain was forecast and my fingers were crossed it would hold off. Arriving at Wilson I was bubbling with nervous excitement. Why do I do this to myself? Why don't I just go off to someplace distant, on my own, and blend into the background? No, I tell the world and throw in the desire to PB on the course. Good one Mel!!

This day was about the journey. I was joined by friends who had been with me since the beginning, friends I have made at the different events I've visited, and new friends willing to help me cross the flags in the above mentioned time. Some friends came even though they were sick, some wore plaits and skirts, and some drove from the other side of town. One thing I've found since discovering the joy of running is that runners are some of the happiest and motivated people you can find. And I am finding a lot of them!

              
 Jodie and Jo plaited their hair.

           
  Irene, Wendy and Tracy came in their skirts.
Most of you know about parkrun, and that it's a timed 5km event held on a Saturday morning at locations all around Australia and the world. And I've become a little (ok a lot) obsessed with it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would leap out of bed on a Saturday morning to go for a run. Up until recently I believed Wilson Botanic to be one of the toughest that Victoria has to offer and due to the hills it doesn't attract the same numbers as some neighbouring events. The hills....

The event director was kind enough to mention me in the race briefing. Actually I got two mentions. And a photo opportunity. Shy Mel was horrified, but running Mel stepped out for a selfie with the RD!
                   
 #lemmetakeaselfie

                                     
I have to give credit to two people. One is a lovely chick who offered to help pace me to my sub30. I haven't known Cindy that long and was really humbled that she was willing to do that for me. The other is Paul, who is ever supportive of my crazy plans and stuck by my side today after his night shift and also knowing that he too could go much faster. Wilson is two laps around a botanical park, which include a very challenging incline (twice). I was worried about how much time I was going to loose going uphill so I put my head down and did my best. On the downhill I ran my guts out hoping to make up any time I could. I glanced at my watch a few times on the first lap but after that I just ran, ran my hardest, and I knew that whatever I did was the best I could possibly do. My coaches were encouraging. They were pushing me but not telling me any times. I figured either they knew I had no hope and didn't want to upset me or I was on pace for my target. It was the latter. I crossed the line and saw a 27. HUH?
   
Flanked by my pacers
         
              
With Paul & Cindy (and Chunyan)

So....mission accomplished. But the real prize was not the time, it was the people. The friends. Those who joined me to celebrate parkrun and share my joy. Those who came even though they were sick, those who came from far away, those who haven't known me long, those who share my passion for this weird obsession called parkrun.


Wilson Botanic 02-09-2017
With Wendy
With Irene

With Chantell



                                                                          


       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap