Let's talk about long runs.....

Sunday was a scheduled long run day. I had made plans with my friend Jodie to run from Oliver's Hill in Frankston along the Kananook Creek Trail to Seaford Wetlands, where we'd do a loop and return. Jodie had done this route before but I had not (mistake).

The morning of the run arrives and the weather isn't great. A message from Jodie says she's pulling out - she's been sick and not keen to run in the rain. Fair call! I understand completely. But.....my stubborn nature refuses to call off my run. Rain or no rain. So I figure I'll wing it alone (do you see the problem here?)

Driving to Frankston the rain is torrential. I'm thinking Jodie is a lot smarter than me! I arrive at the start point and the rain has subsided. Phew! I don't mind running in the rain but I'd prefer to start off dry.

At least the sun is out for the start!

Long runs are arduous. I am an adventurer at heart and exploring new trails helps to make the training enjoyable. This has worked well for me in my previous training with each long run being a fun adventure in itself. BUT......I found myself in a bit of trouble. I hadn't spent time studying the route myself as I'd assumed my ruddy would lead me. For future reference ALWAYS know the route yourself. Because like me, you might end up doing it solo. So......I set off thinking it can't be too hard. Hopefully it's signposted.

When running on your own its wise to make sure someone knows where you are. Jodie was being my remote support. I'd set up my Garmin live track for Paul but he was out on his own run at Lysterfield lake. So, I amuse myself by sending Jodie messages and photos as I run and am excited when I locate the start of the Kananook trail. 

Feeling clever!
The trail is pretty and I am happy to stop frequently for photos. Pace is not the priority, enjoying the run and having fun is.

The trail was pretty

However I soon find myself running along the foreshore, which means I had lost the Kananook trail....
Hmmmmm.
It doesn't matter. It's a training run. I can just run out for as far as I like and turn around and come back. Right? 

The foreshore trail
Jodie is telling me that the planned route around Seaford Wetlands might push out my distance further than my planned 25kms. Perhaps I should turn around at Eel Race Road and head back? But I'm stubborn and I have a wetlands to find.... so I set off in search. I am running alongside what looks like a canal, boarded by residential streets. By now Paul has finished his own run at Lysty so I message him for help. Having the Garmin live track means he can see exactly where I am. Please direct me around the wetlands I tell him.

I found Kananook Creek
Now I have live support to guide me as I navigate the wetlands which, most of the time, I can't even see behind the tall reeds! Paul informs me as each turn is approaching which gives peace of mind until the last turn, which will direct me back for my return journey. 'Turn left before the creek' I'm instructed. But there's no path that I can see. Perhaps I have to run along the grass clearing? I venture in and discover a worn track and Paul confirms I'm going the right way. This is an adventure in every sense of the word. I run past a house with some jasmin growing and snatch a piece to shove in the pocket of my pack. Love that smell...


Jasmine
I was lucky this time, lucky that I'd set up live track, lucky Paul was home and had the time to spend guiding me. But I knew I'd made a mistake. Always know your route!


Reassurance that I was still on track

Now I am back on the familiar track for my return journey. All I have to do is retrace my steps and all should be fine. I spot a sign for the Kananook trail....the trail I'd lost earlier....I hesitate briefly and before I know it I make a quick left turn and set off along the trail.

Kananook Creek Trail

It is a beautiful trail and I know I am heading back in the right direction. I enjoy the run - my time irrelevant as I absorb my surrounds. The trail is following Kananook Creek which is visible on my right. Google maps confirms my location but my phones battery life is quickly dropping. I make the call to exit the track and head back to the foreshore for the remainder of my run.

Making my way back along more familiar ground I ponder the days events. Lessons have been learnt. Running is continually throwing new challenges my way. Today is no exception and it will be marked as an adventure with an important message. ALWAYS KNOW THE TRAIL.

ALWAYS.



Take home points:
1. Adventuring can make long runs enjoyable
2. Make sure someone knows where you are running (especially if you are running alone)
3. Know your route!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap