Surf Coast Century 2017 - Relay

12 months ago I watched some friends run in a relay team for The Surf Coast Century at Anglesea. I saw them starting on the beach in the dark ankle deep in water, I saw them wading waist deep under a bridge, I saw them scrambling over rocks.... and I wanted in on the fun. I told myself  'I'm doing that next year!'

A plan was in motion.

I put out the call for others to join me in a team of four to complete the 100 kms. My friends responded and we created a group to discuss details. Accommodation was sourced in Anglesea (Air BNB) and the issue of legs (the relay type) was debated. Jo put up her hand for the first leg (Coastline Crusade) which was the flattest but ran the whole way along the beach. Next Amanda requested the second leg (Ironbark Basin) which was 28kms. Jodie was not bothered , saying she didn't mind which leg she did so I looked at the remaining two to decide which I preferred. The third leg (Currawong Falls), was also 28kms and had the most elevation. It was deemed to be the hardest leg which would be a great challenge. But then I looked at leg 4 (Lookouts and Lighthouses) and my heart sang - yep that was the one for me! Sorry Jodes......

Then, the day before the event Jo messaged to say she was unwell. A trip to the doctors confirmed a virus and sinusitis and she was out. We had to find a replacement. Remembering a conversation I'd had with Cheryl a week earlier I was quick to message her. We needed a fill in to run our first leg. At 5:30am the NEXT DAY! Cheryl was keen and soon confirmed she was in. Phew!! We  traveled down that afternoon meeting at the house (Amanda staying with her family in nearby Torquay). Belinda and Diane joining us as support.

We had a few drinks and stayed up a little too late.
The alarm was set for 4:30am but I was awake and up before it went off. As Belinda and Diane slept, Jodie and I snuck out to get Cheryl to the start line. Of course at that time of the morning it was still dark, but we found a park and followed the crowd down to the beach where the start point was located. Surprisingly, we found friends in the darkness and chatted excitedly until it was time to say goodbye to Cheryl, and she was off down the beach. We lingered watching the procession of headlamps disappear and then reappear as they looped back to head to Torquay. The first check point was at the 10km mark so we decided to pop back to the house quickly before heading to check point one to meet Cheryl.

Cheryl prepares for the start - Leg 1

Back at the house we were pushed for time. Nervous that we wouldn't make it to the check point before Cheryl arrived, I dragged Jodie out the door. It was going to be at least a 20 minute drive. My plan was to be waiting at every checkpoint throughout the day to support my team mates.

We found the location, parked and headed for the area where Cheryl would appear. A few familiar faces ran past us. First Patrick (a friends hubby) then Tanya from PTR, who was attempting her first solo 100kms. I hurried, not wanting to miss Cheryl. It was only a short wait before she appeared. The check points were stocked with lots of treats including sandwiches, slices lollies and fruit. Cheryl grabbed some gels too and she was off again. We jogged a short distance beside her then waved her goodbye. 

Check point 1

We began to drive back to the house but as I calculated travel times in my head the decision was made to turn around and head for check point 2, where Amanda would be waiting to take over from Cheryl. Amanda was there when we arrived and said a nervous goodbye to her hubby Christian. We found a vantage point on the cliff where we could view the runners coming along the beach and cheered as we spotted Patrick and Tanya yet again (I took a quick pic of Patrick and sent it off to Sarah) and then ran over to check on Tanya as she came through.

There was time for a coffee and, to my disappointment,  there was no decaf on offer. Reluctantly I accepted a full strength coffee while we waited for Cheryl to make her appearance.We chatted excitedly with another team as we stood together on the cliff awaiting our girls to arrive. Belinda had been to parkrun and arrived jubilant from her sub30 achievement. She will take over the driving and navigating from me. Thank goodness. I am feeling the pressure.

When we saw Cheryl appear on the beach we yelled and rang our cow bells. She looked upward and gave a wave. It was too far away to tell if she was smiling, if she was it was probably from relief that her leg was done. As she handed over to Amanda we had some quick introductions and a photo and then Amanda was off for her part in the relay.

Cheryl appears on the beach.

A quick introduction

We pose for a photo
Once again we head back to the house where Belinda takes over the duties of navigating and driving as my nerves are shot. I am thankful for Belinda's calm demeanor and happily allow her to take control as I check on the progress of other friends on the SCC app. We wonder where Di has got to and hope she is with friends as she is not responding to our messages.  At check point 3 the girls wait in the car as I hurry off to see Amanda through the point. I chat to Tanya's crew who are also there waiting and Tanya comes through a short while before Amanda. Tanya is in good spirits, as is Amanda who grabs something to eat and continues on.

Amanda grabs some food at check point 3

Check point 4 (the half way point) is back at Anglesea where there is a buzz of excitement. Jodes is ready to run and we keep ourselves busy chatting to others and posing for more photos. We stand near the 100km sign as we want a group photo in front of it when Amanda comes past. Patrick runs by again so more photos are sent to Sarah. I resist purchasing another coffee as by this time I have realised that half of my nervous anxiety is due to the caffeine in my coffee.

More photos 

Then Amanda appears with the biggest grin. Belinda is having a massage so we ask a random man to take a photo for us. He obliges but once he's gone we discover there was no precious photo. Selfie it is! Bugger.

Best I could do #melsbighead


And Jodes is off. Yes Jodie I got your photo lol. And Tanya is in so off I go to say hi again and check on how she's travelling. Then I get a text from Jodie, she's lost. What? She's hardly been gone 10 minutes. "Check the map" I tell her as I fill with dread. The reply comes back that she's back on track and I can again relax....for now. FOLLOW THE ARROWS!

Off goes Jodes

and in comes Tanya

Jodie has quite a long section to travel before check point 5 so we head back to the house again. I check in with Michaela to see how Paul is travelling and find out if she has seen Di. Paul's going strong and Di is with her. Great! I'm starting to get a bit nervous as the next leg will be mine, but I focus on the next check point and replying to Jodie as she sends through updates on her progress. Belinda calmly delivers us to our next stop and this time we have a while to sit and cheer other runners as they come through. We join in other teams excited cheers as their runners come in with our cow bells clanging noisily. Most runners look up and smile at the encouragement. Many are walking but break into a little jog as they go by. Patrick comes past again. We call is name and he waves, looking happy. And then we see a familiar skirt and jump to our feet as our girl appears from the bush. She looks happy and strong and doesn't stop long. 45 mins she tells us. Geez, we better get going.

Check point 5

Then it's on to check point 6 where I will take over. I'm hoping to get going by 5pm so I can do as much as I can before the light fades. I'm feeling very nervous. It's been a long day and I didn't get as much sleep as I usually would. I don't like running late in the day but I think I'll be right once I get going. The marshal at this check point is amazing (Ali Moxam). She is checking on all the runners as they come in and directing them to food, hydration and making sure their support crew is on hand. I marvel at her leadership, making a mental note to remember in case I am ever in that situation.

Jodie arrives just on 5pm. She still looks amazing. I give her a hug and fish out the first aid kit from her pack. I'm too excited and I just want to get going. As I head out through the transition area I see Tracey and give her a big wave. A friendly Westerfoldian face! Darren is taking photos so I give him a smile and a VV as I run through the timing matts. And I'm off!


Jodie is in! My turn...

I'm off!!
I'm not long down the trail before I realise that wearing the green jacket was a mistake, but I don't want to stop to take it off so I put up with being a bit warm. It's all uphill but my legs are fresh, and I am passing other runner's who are walking. They tell me well done and I am embarrassed. I have just started and they have already done 77 odd kms. I clap them and reject their praise. The trail is uneven and muddy in parts so I watch my footing carefully, resisting the temptation to use my phone as I normally would except for the odd photograph. As soon as I have an uphill that I need to walk I take the opportunity to wriggle out of my jacket which I stuff behind me in my pack. We come to an underpass which involves some clinging to rocks and I spot Patrick ahead of me. The 100kers are taking it slow, their are legs fatigued and their risk of slipping greater. I wait patiently and take more pictures to send to Sarah. 

Under the bridge

By this time I have calculated last light to be around 6:30pm. I am hoping to get to 10kms before I lose the light which will mean the worst of the hills will be behind me. I run though check point 7 not feeling the need to stop as I'm only thinking of the light. The girls are there cheering me on and Belinda runs alongside to hand me my glasses and take my sunnies. I'm aiming to finish my 8pm. I need a goal. The next section weaves along the cliffs with amazing views. I stop for selfies every now and then and then get excited when I see the lighthouse in the distance. I take lots of photos and manage a facebook live as I run past it. I'm not really sure why I like lighthouses. But I do.

There it is!

Beautiful

The cliffs

Light is now fading fast. I fish out the head torch I'd borrowed from Cheryl and prepare for the dark. There is a long section through the scrub and it's quite unnerving as I am running alone for most of the time. Every now and again I come across another 100ker walking and we comment on how we hope we are on the right path. The trail is marked with pieces of reflective red plastic which shine brightly when the beam of my head torch hits them. Navigation is relatively easy although a lot of concentration is required to keep my footing and watch for the markers. As I came to the end of that section I can hear a cow bell ringing. It sounds like our cow bell. Is it even possible to recognise ones own cow bell sound I wonder to myself? I stop to take another picture of a sign in the dark.

Ready to hit the beach....

I take the picture and trot onwards towards the voices and that cow bell in the distant dark. It is my girls!!! It wasn't a check point but they are all there in the freezing cold waiting for me. It gives me a big lift as I head down onto the sand for the beach leg.

The beach is dark. I can't see the water, but I can hear the waves as they lap at the shore. Looking ahead up the beach I strain my eyes to see any sign of light. There is a dim glimmer from head lamps so I follow, only able to see a small section of sand in front of me illuminated by the glow of my light. I try to follow the line of footprints that I assume were made by people knowing where they were going. I decide to ring Paul and I'm relieved when he answers. I pass some time filling him in about the day. The firm sand allows me to relax my concentration on my footing as I chat away, comforted by his voice. But I have a job to do so I say my goodbyes and set about getting this run completed.

Luckily I am able to spot the stairs leading up off the beach and up I go for the last section towards the finish line. I keep myself amused by messaging the girls, letting them know how far along I am and sending some silly hashtags. #sandsux I send. #suckitup comes back the reply. It makes me chuckle to myself as I joke #therebetterbewine .

Then all of a sudden I am back where it had all started 14 hours earlier. I'd been concentrating hard on finding my way through the softer sand and following the witches hats and I hadn't checked the last few messages I'd received. As I run down the finish shoot I am aware the girls are there and they are following me. I just want to get over that finish line. Ooops ....The girls had been planning to run in with me but I didn't wait for them. It didn't matter. We all receive our medals and pose for photos in the dark. I have come in at 7:47pm. I am happy. What a day.


The Trail Ruddies
We all agree it was an amazing event and all are keen to return next year. I say to Jodes that I fancy the first leg. "No worries love" she says. "You do leg 1 and 2 and I'll do 3 and 4!".

And with that, a plan is in motion.


















Comments

  1. Well done - you absolutely superstar!!! And I loved reading of your adventures. You almost make me want to give it a go.....not!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap