Did I just do that?

Last Sunday 15th October, 2017 I ran my fourth  marathon. Not only did I run it, I ran it faster than I thought I ever could. To clarify, it was fast for ME (and I'm pretty darn proud of it too). The funny thing about speed is that it is completely relative to the individual. My 'fast' may be someone else's 'comfortable', someone else's 'fast' may be my 'cruisey'.  But let’s go back a few months...

I had not planned to run Melbourne Marathon this year. I have had my eye on a bigger prize - an Ultra Marathon. I had wanted to attempt the Upstream Challenge 50km for a while, but I hadn’t felt I was strong enough or had ‘earn't the right’. After running the last 20kms of the course last year supporting Fiona my mind was set and it became my goal for 2017.

Then, twice I found myself swept up in the excitement with friends and I entered the Great Ocean Road Marathon in May and then Melbourne Marathon in October. I happen to think that two Marathons a year is manageable for me so I wasn’t too concerned. GOR went well, leaving  Melbourne positioned nicely as my last ‘long run’ before attempting Upstream.

Now, while I was going about my training I was also dipping my toe into the water of ‘trail running’.
I had wanted to run Wonderland and Surf Coast so they became smaller focus events and I entered the Trail Running Series as practise. So, how is that relevant?

Fast forward to Melbourne Marathon. My original plan was to take it easy because it was supposed to be a training run...but.... I felt strong. All those months of  trails had put strength into my legs and I began to wonder how much time I could take off last years effort of 4:50. I really didn’t know but I decided to give it a crack.

On the morning of Melbourne Marathon I positioned myself with the 4:30 pacers. I did not really believe I could run 4:30 but my Garmin prediction seemed to think I could, as did my ASICS plan, so why not see how long I could stick with the pacers. If nothing else it would make the start easier because they would take away the need to worry about going out too fast.

Cindy and me with 4:30 pacer Bruce 'Digger" Hargraves


I had never ran with a pacer before, and I chatted to some other girls in the group as we went along, finding out their stories and reasons for being there. I waved to friends as we doubled back along the course. I hoped I hadn’t made a mistake and gone out too fast. Time would tell.

I stayed with the pacers right up until the turn around at  Elwood. I had managed roughly 30 kms on pace but as they turned to head back to the MCG I couldn’t  seem to stay with them. I wasn’t hurting or feeling terribly fatigued, so I continued, on my own now, still wondering how close I could come to my mark.

The last 10 kms of the course is mean. There is elevation to test the legs. As I passed drink stations I wondered if I should take an ‘energy’ drink for an added boost? But I told myself no. As a low carb runner I didn’t need it. It is purely psychological and I needed to prove that to myself. So I continued to run past the drinks stations, sipping on my own water supply as I went.

There is a funny feeling that comes over the parkrun distance runner when that magical point is reached which is ‘only a parky to go’. I felt a lift and powered on knowing (by my trusty race app) that I was still making good time and might just pull off something special. My phone had been pinging in my pocket and while I would normally check it, I resisted, focusing instead on finishing.

I won’t bore you with any more, suffice to say my official time was 4:31:22 and.....I am pretty bloody stoked with that 😊

Now I have an Ultra to run.




#dreambelieveachieve #runsweatinspire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap