Upstream Challenge - having a crack at 50

It is 5 days post event now, time to reflect on Saturday and to create a written account of my first attempt at running 50 kms. I say that as if I expect there to be more attempts. Let's be honest...there probably will.

As mentioned previously it has been my goal all year to run the 50kms at the Upstream Challenge. I had bide my time, waiting till I felt I was strong enough to do the distance justice. Melbourne Marathon was my last long run and I was disciplined in continuing my training runs between the two events. Did I train well? I have no idea. And It probably doesn't matter. This one wasn't about times, it was about the journey and sharing it with a friend.

This year fate threw a new ruddy my way. Jodie and I ran the 44 together at GOR, had a fabulous adventure in Sydney for City2Surf, were team mates in the Surf Coast Century relay as well as countless parkrun trips around Victoria. She was up for the challenge of an ultra so there we were, at another start line together, Barbie and Skipper...

Starting at Gosch's Paddock

I had no nerves before the race. Maybe it was arrogance, but I felt ready and I just wanted to get it done. Paul and Zoe dropped usoff at Gosch's Paddock and headed off to do parkrun at Albert Park. We collected our race bibs, found the loos and posed for photos before finding our fellow BCR team mates Fiona, Diane and Justine (actually they found us!).

Fiona, Mel, Diane, Jodie and Justine.

And then we were off! It was a mild morning and the Yarra River was alive with rowers. The track was all too familiar as it followed the Capital City Trail which I have run multiple times in training. We trotted along chatting happily and I decided I'd take a selfie every 5kms to mark each parkrun completed. Only 10 parkruns! It was a good strategy and every second 'parkrun' was a checkpoint which offered fresh fruit, lollies and toilets. My OCD was more upset that the checkpoints weren't exactly placed at 10/20/30/40kms but oh well.

The gorgeous Yarra River

10-20 kms saw us travelling through the Collingwood Childrens' Farm. The weather was warming up and I was starting to feel my back chafing from my pack. So here is an important lesson for me because I never chafe, so I don't even own body glide!! I had received word from Paul that he and Zoe were on their way to meet us at check point 2 so I sent a message 'do you have your body glide with you?' He did! Jodie also wanted her sports drink from the car so we were met at check point 2 with Zoe running towards us carrying Jodies' drink and Paul with the body glide. A welcome sight!

Zoe being a wonderful support crew

From CP2 we headed off with Zoe chaperoning us across a bridge. Our spirits were high but the temperature was rising and we overshot our 25km 'parkrun' before I remembered the selfie! Another message was sent to Paul, this time requesting my coconut water from the car to be awaiting me at the next checkpoint. This check point was difficult in that we missed the markings and overshot the turn off. Luckily I recognised the site from the previous year when I had joined up with Fifi, so we quickly backtracked and found Paul and Zoe waiting again with our refreshments. I was having some issues with my left calf (it has never given me grief before) so I hoped to get treatment at CP3 as I knew there would be a physio there. There was, but a young boy was ahead of me so I decided not to lose time waiting. While we were there my alarm went off to signify 11am. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. So we stood together for a minutes silence to remember the fallen.

Chugging down the coconut water at CP3

From 30-40kms it was getting uncomfortable. The trail was very open and there was no escape from the sun. Twice I was startled by blue tongue lizards sunning themselves on the path. They quickly scurried off as I rushed to capture their photo. There was less chatter now as we put our heads down to concentrate on the job ahead. I knew the elevation increased in the last 20kms but I kept that to myself. No point being negative Nelly! As I had run the last 20kms with Fifi the previous year it was somewhat familiar which was comforting, and approaching Westerfolds park also gave a sense of comfort as I scanned the paths hoping to spot a familiar face.

Our little support crew ran out to us again at checkpoint 4. What a relief to know that this was the last check point and we only had 10 kms to go (actually 11 as CP4 was at 39km according to my Garmin). 

Arriving at CP4 - Westerfolds Park
We had a long break at CP4. I refilled my hydration pack and took the opportunity to offload anything I wasn't going to need in the last leg. It is so wonderful to have support on the day and I am so thankful to my family for being there. Setting off for the last 10kms the legs took awhile to get going. The stop start does not agree with me at all. Next time there will definitely be a different strategy!

40-50km is not overly memorable. I was just hot. It was hard. I wanted it to be finished. I ran ahead but checked regularly for Jodie to make sure she was behind me. There was an extra 'aid station' at the 44km mark but I ran through it because I was determined to only stop at 45 for my 'parkrun' selfie. I waited for Jodie at the 45km mark and worried that I'd lost her. I felt bad. I was a shit ruddy. We'd come so far. How would I tell everyone that I'd lost my ruddy? But then she appeared with a smile, she'd stopped for lollies at that damn checkpoint!! LOL

Then there was only 5km to go. Only a parkrun. We continued on but it was getting harder to run. We were walking the hills and I began to count down the remaining kilometres. With 2-3 kms to go I started to do 200m walk/run intervals. It seemed as good a strategy as any and it was working well. We passed 48kms and before I knew it I recognised the last massive climb to the finish line. WTF? We weren't even at 49kms? Somehow we summons the energy to run that last section and joined together for the finish line. Paul was there taking photos and we posed quickly before receiving our medals.....

We did it!

But.....my Garmin said 48.98kms. That was NOT what I signed up for. I wanted 50kms. So.....there was only one thing to do, I set off to run around the carpark until I had my 50 kms. Haha.

And so I am an Ultra marathoner. 
Some lessons were learnt.
I can improve.
Plans are afoot....
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap