My first Two Bays - running naked
Anyhoo, let's put context to this event called Two Bays. It is a 28 km trail run from Dromana to Cape Schanck. It has ridiculous elevation, beautiful views, stunning trails and a fantastic vibe. Some REALLY crazy people run it both ways for 56 km. RESPECT. And....those who embrace the theme and dress up in hawaiian shirts or hula skirts get a preferred start, all adding to the colourful atmosphere.
The event has a qualifying time and although this was my third year of qualifying, it was the first time I was running it. Three years of FOMO was causing a lot of nerves! I don't really even know what I was nervous about. I had a lei for decoration, my personalised bib said #BELIKEMEL (might have been drinking when I signed up??) and after a peaceful 45 minute drive I arrived at the start line, already spotting familiar faces and exchanging hello's. Everywhere I turned I found friends. I dropped my bag at the bag drop and joined the queue for the toilets.
![]() |
| Posing with my lovely friends: Cathy, Jackie, Jo, Sandi, Amanda and Ange |
So are you curious about 'running naked'? To explain, the term refers to running without technology. Not something I had been planning to do. I was wearing my beloved Garmin watch that I had set to a fancy setting to allow me to gauge my progress and give me an estimated finish time, and quite frankly, I was feeling rather clever! Hmmmm. Fate stepped in. At the 2km point my watch beeped for the second kilometre and then froze. I looked down and realised, frantically pushing buttons in a vain attempt to fix it. Nothing. Horror filled me, how could I finally run this event and not have it recorded? In a flash I whipped out my iphone and hit record on Strava. I'd lost 2 kilometers but at least I'd have something to prove where I'd ran. It wouldn't provide me the stats I was used to but it was better than nothing. Then I messaged Paul with a remote tech support SOS, which would prove to be to no avail.
So I was running naked. Surging along with the crowd. It was feeling hard but I thought it was just going to be an off day. One of those runs that you struggle through without really knowing why. It happens. I concentrated on my footing and left my phone in my pocket. Too risky to do my usual run/phone/text/selfie in case I miss a tree root and trip, only checking my phone when the elevation demanded a walk break. Around the area of the now infamous dam (7kms??) the gravel track widens and the trail heads downhill. I fly down thinking it will help to make up time and I am glad for all the training down Lyrebird Track which has helped strengthen whatever it is that you need to run fast downhill. It was a welcome relief after all the climbing in the first few kms. Tash comes bouncing past me and we take selfies with my phone and her go-pro.
![]() |
| Tash flies past with her go-pro |
The trail really is beautiful and we were blessed with cool conditions. As I pass the 10km marker I manage a quick text to Paul with the distance and time so he has an idea of my progress. I play leapfrog with other runners on the trail as we all take walk breaks and at each drink station I get a little lift from the people cheering the runners along. I have a fair idea that my friends Cathy, Sandi and Amanda are close by and every now and again I hear Sandi and Amanda's chatter. It's nice to know they are around.
![]() |
| Gorgeous trails |
Often on trail runs I miss the photographers and I am determined this time to manage at least one Westerfoldian VV. And I do, so I'm very pleased with myself.
![]() |
| Running as a Westerfoldian in this event |
Cathy appears beside me and we check how each other is doing. I try to keep her in my sights while still catching the occasional sound of the other girls close by. Then those stairs appear. And they are hard. So hard. My legs don't want to lift and all around me people are groaning as they haul themselves up and up. And then the finish feels imminent as we know the worst is done. I keep pushing myself because I am feeling slow, my legs heavy. The view of Bushrangers Bay is breathtaking but I tell myself I can return another time for photo's, too scared to lose valuable minutes 'just in case'. Sandi appears by my side. She is happy because with 2 kms to go we are 3 hrs 17 minutes in and she thinks she might get a PB. This is the first I know of my time and I get a surprise. I wonder if I could manage sub 3:30 mins?
I run through the last car park and there are people lining the trail offering encouragement to all the runners. I spot Rohan (the event organiser) and give him a salute. He smiles his acknowledgement as I head upward again. I can now see the inflatable finish line and I find some extra energy to finish strong.
![]() |
| Finish line - note to self to centre myself better for photos |
I see familiar faces handing out medals but all I can do is smile and nod as one is placed around my neck (thank's Karen!). Still in the finish shoot I spot Cathy again and we hug, then Sandi and Amanda appear too. Photo!!
| Finished!! with Cathy, Amanda and Sandi. |
Sandi tells me her time so I have a fair idea of mine (3:25:53 official - no wonder it felt hard!) as I wander off to look at the merch tent and retrieve my bag. A long wait purchasing my 2018 tech singlet meant I lost the girls, so I headed for the coach back to Dromana, eagerly awaiting mobile reception to update Paul on my surprising result. At Dromana the ocean was so inviting that I took some time to stand in the lovely cold water and take some more photos.
| The signs at the merch tent made me laugh! |
![]() |
| My medal |
| The water was refreshing for my weary legs. |
Last but not least I joined my friends at the local Jet Cafe for a coffee and to exchange stories of the days events. I am taken with how wonderful this running community that I am a part of is. I had so many friendly faces out on the trail today, from groups such as Raring2Run, Westerfoldians, Slow Burners and PTR, as well as parkrunners and Running Diva's. And, I managed to capture most of my run on my phone (albeit without the usual data) to upload to Strava. Today's lesson was that although you don't self-combust when running naked, you may end up pushing yourself harder due to the unknown.
And I finish this, happy in the knowledge that for the first time in four years I don't have to run a Two Bays qualifier!







Comments
Post a Comment