L is for Limbo

Today's blog comes to you by the letter L (limbo) and the number 5 (5 year plan).

For the last 3 years I've ran 15-20 events per year. More than one a month. This has taken me from a beginner runner stepping up from a 5km parkrun, to running my first attempt at the 50km distance. Running regular events has kept me motivated as there has always been another race to train for, and it has allowed me to keep a base of fitness where I can manage a half marathon on a whim. It means that although life has been a whirlwind of medals and road trips, motivation has been easy to maintain.
I'm a planner. Planning training, strategy and event arrangements is all a part of the fun.

So....hello 2018.

To give you the background, Paul and I have had a 5 year plan to relocate our family from Melbourne's South Eastern suburbs, to the West. A big move but one I have looked forward to and enjoyed planning (surprise surprise). The plan was for us to be in our new home by Christmas 2017, but as we all know, life does not always go according to plan. So, here we sit in February 2018.....

February 2018

How is this relevant? Well, my life is on hold. Uni is postponed until semester 2 and running....well apart from two events (Two Bays and Bellarine) I am on a self imposed race ban. This is due in part to not knowing when I will need to move - "oh sorry we can't move that weekend I have [insert race name]" and financial considerations (building houses isn't cheap!).

Week by week events are popping up in discussions, event's that I have previously run or wanted to run. I am literally sitting on my hands  in case I accidentally sign up in a moment of red-wine fuelled weakness. parkrun is fulfilling my need for adventures but how does one maintain motivation without a major event looming? I hatch a cunning plan. It entails me to forgo  months of events in the hope that I can attend the Gold Coast Marathon. It's a big dream. I have watched friends travel to, and run the event over the last few years. It would be my first major marathon outside of Victoria and I can use the idle months to ensure I am well prepared. It will be my reward for all the sacrificed events. I'm very self motivated so I'm happy with my strategy.

Meanwhile, with our dreams of being in by Christmas a distant memory, we set our hopes on Easter. This should allow me ample time to unpack and settle before GCM in July. Then another curve ball! With the house not quite at lock up stage there are whispers of July. JULY!! 😓

So now the challenge remains to train for a race that might not be. A dream event I may not be able to attend. It's time for a reality check. There will always be another marathon somewhere. There will still be next year for GCM. I will have a lovely new house. 

And so I remain in limbo.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First winter Wonderland in Halls Gap