Bravehearts 777 State runner - Melbourne 2018
A quick back story. I had a wish to run a sub 4:30 at the Gold Coast Marathon but, due to the never ending house build (oh no she's banging on about that again) it became apparent that GC was not going to happen this year. This led me to look around for a local marathon and I found the Melbourne leg of the Bravehearts 777 event. Fabulous!! Being only a few days prior to GC it fitted perfectly with my training plan. Winning. AND, I was happy to support the cause. I knew Dani from parkrun and admired her immensely, so I felt really good about being there for the Melbourne event.
Fast forward to today. I knew I had prepared well. A few niggles had seen me back off my training pace a little but other than that I was in good shape. I had the usual pre race day doubts which my friends kindly endured (bless you all). I went to bed early, slept well and found my way to the event with no issues. I ran. I achieved my goal blah blah blah.......
BUT! How do I now feel? I feel humbled. I feel humbled to have been a part of such a wonderful initiative. I am in awe of the 12 legends who are running all 7 consecutive events. I cannot even begin to fathom that. I have no idea how they can do it! I feel humbled to have been supported by the amazing volunteers. They shouted my name as I passed by lap by lap (did I mention it was laps?), they reached out to take my water bottle so I didn't have to break stride. They took photos and they offered food at the end. They made me feel special. I am humbled by the comradery of the other runners. The encouragement. The cheers. The help from people I had never met before today (Point Cook parkrunners - I'm talking about YOU) and...lastly....I am humbled by my running friends who took time out of their lives to support me today. Chantell, who was there at 6am, offering hugs and kind words. Your presence was appreciated more than I can describe. Cheryl, you were an angel appearing and offering much needed advice and wisdom (oh except that bit from Bruce Fordyce lol). Thank you for talking when I did not feel I could. Lynda, I was so excited to see you! Thanks for pacing me with Cheryl for those last kms when my legs were so heavy and I just wanted it to be over. Having the two of you either side of me was really an honour! Last but not least - Renee and Boo. Hearing that car horn and shouts after that last turn around was the lift I needed. The timing was perfect and really made me feel special.
So here I sit now after a hot shower, food (and wine) feeling like the luckiest woman. Humble. Grateful. Blessed.
![]() |
| Chantell was a welcome friendly face at the start. |
![]() |
| Proud to share the track with this legend - Dani McLaren |
![]() |
| Lynda, Renee, Boo & Cheryl |




You're an absolute legend - well done!
ReplyDelete